Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Winter Workout with Nature

I am a huge fan of getting back to nature (working out outside)! On a recent day in Boston, a snow had fallen a few days before, it was about 35 degrees and the sun was shining.

Although my time was limited, I wanted to workout outside. (I was getting my kids off the bus in about 30 minutes). Strength training was on my agenda with an interval component.

I grabed a Kettlebell and my 4lb sledge hammers and went to workout in the snow. Our yard has many pine trees, a kid's swing set, plus a nice 20 yard hill for sprints.

Here was the circuit:
  • 3 sets on all Hammer time: 20 reps each
  • Kettlebell swings: 30 reps
  • Kettlebell horn squats: 30 reps
  • Alternating snatches: 30 reps
  • Pull ups: 20 reps
  • 20 yard sprints uphill: 3 sets
  • Hammer matrix
  • I concluded with 10 minutes of yoga
There is something special about being outside - like a kid and just playing.